Student Visas For Australia

Decided you want to join the 550,000+ international students in Australia? Read on to find out about the various different migration paths you can take to achieve you dream of studying in Australia.

there are different student visas

Depending on your unique circumstances different student Visas will be available to you. Speaking with a registered migration agent will be the best way to clarify which Australian visa is best suited to you and your requirements – be that to study or work, or do both!

Here’s a breakdown of the different student Visas for Australia:

Student visa (subclass 500)

To study in Australia, you will be required to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500).
you can apply for this once you have received your confirmation of enrollment on your chosen course. You can find information for Foreign Affairs and Defence sponsored students and school sector students on the Department of Education website, where you can also find out if family can join you during your studies. The Department of Education also provides information for students on genuine temporary entrant requirements, health insurance, English language requirements, financial capacity requirements and changing courses.
Your rights and responsibilities whilst you are a student in Australia are also outlined in a downloadable fact sheet.

Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)

This visa is for parents and guardians of students under 18 years of age who wish to study in Australia. To find out the specific requirements for applying for this student visa path to Australia, speak to a registered migration agent.

Training visa (subclass 407)

If you are someone who requires training in a structured workplace-based setting, a Training Visa (subclass 407) may be the best student visa path for you, especially if you are wanting to qualify for a skilled occupation. You can find out more about skilled migration paths to Australia from speaking with an Australian migration agent.

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

For international students who have completed their studies in Australia, but may wish to work in Australia temporarily, you may qualify for a Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) which will allow you to work, post-studies.

Visiting and studying

For those wanting to visit Australia for short term studies you can, in most cases, apply for a visitor visa (Subclass 600) which is easily obtained from the Australian government website.

Post study work arrangements

It’s important to speak with a migration agent if you are an international student and wish to work in Australia long term following your studies as they will be best placed to advise you on what migration path you may be able to pursue to live and work in Australia.