If you currently own a new or existing business and are hoping to stay in Australia permanently, then the State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner Visa may be the choice for you.

In order to obtain this visa, you will need to currently hold a provisional visa already. You will also have had to live in Australia for at least one year in the past two years on that visa. Other things to note include meeting specific business requirements on employees, operations, ownership and turnover.

This visa will allow you to stay in Australia for up to five years. As this is a permanent residence visa, you and your family members will be allowed to work and study in Australia, enrol in Medicare, apply for Australian citizenship, sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence, and travel to and from Australia for five years. The visa will not allow you or your family to access social security payments.

Before you apply for this visa, you must get sponsorship from the regional authority in the state or territory you intend to continue your main business. You will need to complete a sponsorship form and send it to your appropriate state or territory authority. This completed form must be included with your visa application.

Besides the visa application charge, you may also have to pay for such costs as health assessments, police certificates, or other certificates or tests you may need to obtain.

If you do have your own business and want to continue staying in Australia, this may be an excellent option to pursue.