A Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) is an excellent way to emigrate to Australia. It is for points-tested skilled workers and is not for someone sponsored by an employer or family member. A state or territory government also cannot nominate you. There are several requirements and regulations for this type of visa.

Length of Stay:

A Skilled Independent visa offers you permanent residence, and it allows you to live and work in Australia. It is a permanent work visa.

Specific Requirements:

You can be invited to apply for this visa, but you must also make sure you have nominated an occupation on the relevant skill list. You also must have a suitable skills assessment and received a high score specified based on factors in the points test, have competent English, and not be over 50 years of age.


You can be living in or outside of Australia for when you apply and when the visa is granted. This visa allows both you and your family members who have been granted the Skilled Independent visa to stay in Australia indefinitely. You are also eligible to apply for Australian citizenship. You are allowed to work and study here, enrol in Medicare, and sponsor any eligible relatives for permanent residence.


You will need a valid passport or travel document when applying. You may travel in and out of Australia up to five years from the date the visa is granted. After the five years, you will need a resident return visa or another visa for you to be allowed to go back to Australia. You must also follow all visa conditions and Australian laws.