Same Sex Partner Visas Australia

Why Gay People Are Moving To Perth

Sydney may be the gay capital of the world, but that’s merely a badge of honour for how tolerant Australia is towards gay people.

Of course, like many countries the further out you wander to more regional and remote areas, attitudes are a little different and can sometimes be hostile. However, when it comes to being open minded and gay friendly, Perth is up there as a gay friendly city.

Whether you are moving to Perth to study as an international student, or simply emigrating to Australia for a lifestyle shake up, there are hundreds of good reasons to choose Perth over other Australian cities. But for gay people, many choose Perth due to many of its population not batting an eyelid if they see same sex couples walking hand in hand down the street.

Gay Friendly Perth, WA

As well as gay friendly suburbs in Perth, you’ll also find quite a good gay scene.

Some of the best places to hang out for the gay scene in Perth include Geisha Bar, Steam Works, The Aviary, Luxe Bar and Connections Nightclub (81 James Street in Northbridge). Every April you can also enjoy and take part in Pride WA – a major calendar event for the Western Australia LGTBQ community.  The main gay bar in Perth for both gay men and lesbian women and all those who like to colour outside the lines is The Court Hotel (50 Beaufort Street).

Emigrate to Australia with a Same Sex Partner Visa

Of course, it’s not just the gay scene that makes Perth an attractive option when it comes to emigrating to Australia. Remember, how we said gay people are welcome in Australia? Well the same sex spousal visa is now available for same sex couples. So if you happen to find prince or princess charming in Australia or your other half is an Australian native then you have the same rights as a heterosexual couple.

Same Sex Partner Visas Australia

To be eligible for a Partner Visa in Australia you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be over the age of 18 at the time of lodging your application.
  • Not be in a prohibited degree of relationship with the sponsor.
  • Evidence that you and the sponsor have a shared commitment to the relationship with each other and no one else.
  • Evidence that you and your partner have been in a interdependent relationship for 12 months before making your application.
  • Evidence that you are living together
  • Meet the medical and character requirements for an Australian visa.

If you would like to apply for a same sex partner visa for Australia speak with a Perth Migration Agent who can assist you with your application from start to finish.