Moving to Australia

One of the biggest challenges expats face when emigrating to Australia is the Australian job market and getting the necessary sponsorship or visa to live and work in the country.

Since the changes to the 457 visa took place it has become even more challenging. Now Australian companies must prove that they have tried to fill the job vacancy with an Australian person before hiring a foreign worker. To find out more about the changes to skilled visas speak to a registered migration agent. A migration agent will also be able to inform you as to which Australian visa you are eligible for.

Skill Migration to Australia

Some areas that are in great need of skilled workers in Australia are agriculture and farming, construction, mining and healthcare.

However, with all this talk of work, it’s worth mentioning that a good work/life balance is the norm in Australia. This means you can expect to clock off on time and enjoy the great weather on offer. Off course, hard work is valued in Australia, but the great Aussie lifestyle of fun, family and friendship is ingrained in the society.

Healthcare in Australia

You’ll find, once you’re earning an Australian salary, that 1.5% of your earnings will go towards Medicare. For higher earners it’s 2.5%! This will help pay for your healthcare. The healthcare system – Medicare – is part private and part state funded. Your medicare will cover 100% of in-patient care charges and 75% of primary care charges, such as seeing your GP. Most people fund the other 25% by taking a private healthcare policy out to top things up.

Medicare does not, however cover dentistry, optometry or ambulance transport meaning you will have to foot the bill for these services yourself or with private health insurance. However, what you will find in Australia is one of the best healthcare systems in the entire world.

There are also many jobs available in Healthcare so speak to a registered migration agent about skilled migration paths ot Australia.

Education in Australia

The education system in Australia is amazing! From higher education to kindergarten you can expect world class institutions.

There are four options when it comes to schooling your children:

  • State schools (public)
  • Private schools
  • Private international schools
  • Faith-based schools (e.g. Catholic schools in Australia)

Most schools boast fantastic sports facilities and many children learn to swim at an early age due to the outdoorsy lifestyle. Interestingly, 70% of children attend public schools which are technically free for permanent residents, however, there aren’t any free schools in Australia. Everyone is expected to pay voluntary contributions with most schools having their own fees. These can all add up to a few hundred dollars per term. So this is something to bare in mind if you are considering moving to Australia. If you are considering bringing your family to Australia then speak with a registered migration agent about family visas for Australia.

Those on temporary visas must pay fixed tuition fees set by the state or territory in which they are living. This will vary from state to state. For example, Western Australia may charge $4000 per family, per year, whereas New South Wales will charge $4500 for kindergarten and $5500 for secondary school. You will find even higher fees in ACT, so make sure you do your research before you consider moving to Australia to find out the best fees for you and your family.

For those who want their children to remain in the UK schooling system, there are a few international schools. Again, it’s worth doing your research to find the best school for your children.

Top tip: From state to state, each area has its own education system also, so again make sure you choose to live where’s best for you.

To find out more about moving to Australia, speak to a registered migration agent.