We explain the Australian work visas that will enable you to live, work and play in Australia.

Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)
Available to young people that want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year, the Working Holiday Visa is the most popular visa for travelling to Australia.
To apply for the Working Holiday Visa you must:
• Be at least 18 years of age but younger than 31
• Not have a dependent child coming with you to Australia
• Have around $5000 AUD to support your time in Australia
• Have the funds to purchase a return ticket when your visa runs out
• Have a passport from an eligible country
The countries eligible for this visa include United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Germany, France, Canada and Japan. There are 19 countries in total.

Work & Holiday Visa (subclass 462)
Much like the Working Holiday Visa, the Work & Holiday Visa allows young people the chance to holiday and work in Australia for up to one year.
Requirements for the Work & Holiday Visa include:
• You must be at least 18 years of age but younger than 31 
• You must not have a dependent child with you during your stay
• You must hold a passport from an eligible country
Countries eligible for the Work & Holiday Visa are Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, USA and Uruguay. Greece and Poland have recently signed a work and holiday agreement with Australia, but the start date for this has not been announced.

Higher Education Sector Visa (subclass 573)
If you are enrolled as a student to receive a bachelor degree, a graduate certificate/diploma, a masters degree, or a higher education diploma, you may be able to apply for the Higher Education Sector Visa to stay and study in Australia.
The visa conditions and process are streamlined depending on the country you’re applying from, the country your passport is registered to and your age. Generally, you can apply for this visa if you need your first student visa, a subsequent student visa, or to join a family member who is in Australia on a student visa.

Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457) this has been replaces by the TSS visa in March 2018
The 457 Visa allows a skilled worker to come to Australia to work in their nominated occupation for a sponsored employer for up to four years. The occupation must appear on the Skilled Occupation List to be approved for sponsorship.
To obtain this visa, you must:
• Be sponsored by an approved business
• Have the skills to do fulfil the job you have been nominated for
• Only fill a position that could not be filled by an Australian citizen or resident 
• Speak vocational English
Holders of this visa are able to work in Australia for up to four years, bring their family to work or study, and travel in and out of Australia as much they want.

Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)
For anyone that hasn’t been sponsored by an employer or nominated by a state or territory government, you can apply for the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) based on your points as a skilled worker.
You can apply for this visa if you:
• Submitted an expression of interest
• Nominated an occupation on the skilled occupation list
• Achieved a skills assessment for the chosen occupation
• Have not yet turned 50 years o age
• Have a competent level of English
• Have been sent a letter of invitation by the Australian Government
The Skilled Independent Visa allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. You can also include your partner and any dependent relatives in your application.

Partner Visa (subclasses 820 and 801)
The Partner Visa (subclass 820 and 801) is available to the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, to live in Australia.
To apply for the visa, applicants must be married or in a de facto relationship with their partner.
The temporary Partner Visa (subclass 820) is approved before the permanent Partner Visa (subclass 801), but you only have to lodge one application and pay one application charge. You must be in Australia when the visa is applied for and when the decision is made.